About this site

Welcome to the $1,000,000 blog.

My name is Dan and I am going to raise my net worth from practically zero to one million dollars. This is where I write about how I make, save and invest my money.


million links
money links
misc links
The Million Dollar Blog is no longer active. All posts about my attempt to make a million dollars will appear on my new website: dmossop.zeeblo.com. Please update your bookmarks. Thanks.
 

Another saving tip

One way to save money on things it to make them last that little bit longer. For instance, with shampoo, I used to just squirt some random amount into my hand and then use that. I've got short hair and really don't need much at all. Sometimes the amount I would squeeze out would be three times more than I actually needed. Just by paying attention to how much I use, I reckon I can save about 50% on my shampoo bill.

The same kind of thinking applies to a wide range of things. Other examples are: shaving foam, toothpaste, milk, sandwich spreads... the list goes on. A slightly less obvious example of the same thing is the length of your phone calls.

Use 10% less, 20% less, or more on each of these things and you'll save of money over time. And with this sort of thing, you really won't mind the difference. I can't say it bothers me having slightly less lather in my hair at shower time!

Comments:
This is true. It's the same with almost empty bottles. I cut open a plastic bottle of make-up (foundation)last week because I'd ran out and couldn't be bothered to make the trip into town. It lasted me another week!
 
Little things definitely add up over time.
 
I have to say, these things were ingrained in me while I was young. I think it would be hard for me to change my habits now, after meeting other people who were not taught that stuff like this was the norm.

By the way, I added you to my Links list. Thanks again for the link back too.

Jonathan
MyMoneyBlog
 
Great tips. I like the idea of making what I have last longer.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?