About this site

Welcome to the $1,000,000 blog.

My name is Dan and I am going to raise my net worth from practically zero to one million dollars. This is where I write about how I make, save and invest my money.


million links
money links
misc links
The Million Dollar Blog is no longer active. All posts about my attempt to make a million dollars will appear on my new website: dmossop.zeeblo.com. Please update your bookmarks. Thanks.
 

My current net worth

Okay, I don't have all the data I need for this, but I think I can get a pretty close estimate of my current net worth.

I currently have:

$1,900 in my savings account,
$700 in my current account,
$90 left in this week's allowance,
$130 in my emergency fund tin,
$50 in my holiday fund tin,
$800 in my savings tin.

I currently owe:

$37,000 in student loans.

This gives me a net worth of -$33,330

It's not a great situation, but it's not bad. The interest rate on my student loan is tied to inflation, so it is not going to increase dramatically over time. It more moves the goal posts slightly than makes my goal of saving $1,000,000 impossible.

To put a slightly more positive spin on things, I will track my positive income only. That is, I will say I have $3,670 towards my goal of $1,000,000. The student loans are tied to how much I earn from any job I do, and so can be regarded not as a debt, but as a future reduction in the amount of take-home pay I have from any job. If I never earned over $25,000 I wouldn't ever have to pay anything back, so to quote my net worth as -$33,330 would actually be incorrect.

So as of today I have $3,670 of my target $1,000,000.

Considering I'm a student and by all accounts shouldn't have any money at all, I'm quite pleased with that.

Comments:
It is good to know where you are.
It is good to know where you are going.

That is the first step to reach your destination.

Money and Investing
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?