About this site

Welcome to the $1,000,000 blog.

My name is Dan and I am going to raise my net worth from practically zero to one million dollars. This is where I write about how I make, save and invest my money.


million links
money links
misc links
The Million Dollar Blog is no longer active. All posts about my attempt to make a million dollars will appear on my new website: dmossop.zeeblo.com. Please update your bookmarks. Thanks.
 

Saving without sacrifice

My main aim in saving is to eventually achieve financial independence. It is one of my major life goals, but not the only one. For instance, I also want to enjoy life now. What I am trying to do is save significant amounts of money without sacrificing my current lifestyle.

If, for example, I am invited out for a meal at a restaurant, I won't turn it down to save money. Instead I will go and try to save what money I can - by ordering a cheaper meal, or not having a drink with it, etc. The result is that I get an almost identical experience - a night out at a restaurant - for less money.

I think it is possible for most people, including myself, to maintain something roughly equivalent to their current quality of life, but for significantly less money. I think this can be achieved through a combination of careful spending and a bit of creativity.

I guess it all comes down to figuring what is important to you and what is not in any given situation. Taking the restaurant example, if you are mainly going for the social aspect then does it matter whether you have the steak or the pasta? If not, then pick the cheapest.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?