About this site

Welcome to the $1,000,000 blog.

My name is Dan and I am going to raise my net worth from practically zero to one million dollars. This is where I write about how I make, save and invest my money.


million links
money links
misc links
The Million Dollar Blog is no longer active. All posts about my attempt to make a million dollars will appear on my new website: dmossop.zeeblo.com. Please update your bookmarks. Thanks.
 

Tips for making a budget

Erica's comment on the last post got me thinking about what advice I can offer for creating budgets.

I've been testing various budget ideas for a while to find out what works and what doesn't. Here are some of my top tips:

TIP 1: Set your budget at a slightly uncomfortable level.

If the amount of money your budget allows you to spend is too high, you won't get any benefit. You will just carry on spending as you did without the budget. You'll know your budget is too generous if you feel entirely comfortable sticking too it.

If the amount of money your budget allows is too low, you won't be able to stick to it. Sticking to it would require a drastic change in your lifestyle, which is a hard thing to deal with. You'll know your budget is too tight if you feel uncomfortable trying to stick with the budget.

The ideal situation, as I see it, is that you should feel slightly uncomfortable. This way you will have to make a few cut-backs (spend slightly less on groceries, have one less drink on a night out) in order to meet the budget. But you'll be able to do it because it isn't that hard. And that's when you'll save money. Eventually, you should find that your lifestyle changes to match your budget. When that happens you'll find yourself becoming comfortable with the budget. You will then be able to tighten it a bit further.

TIP 2: Give yourself a weekly cash allowance

Doing your budget weekly keeps you focused on it. Holding all your money in cash and paying for everything in cash lets you see exactly how your budget is doing. It is much easier to overspend if you use a credit/debit card.

TIP 3: Take out only as much as you need

Whenever you go out somewhere - shopping, pubbing, etc. - figure out before you go how much you are willing to spend. Then take only that amount, in cash, and leave all bank cards behind. If you do this, it's simply not possible to overspend.

I'm sure I had another couple of tips to add, but I can't remember them right now. I'll post them as soon as I do.

Comments:
Thanks, gave you a link.

http://nycmoney.blogspot.com
 
I like your site. Gonna put it in my faves. Good luck and keep up the good work.
 
i should take this into great consideration, it lower my fights with my man... heee... but i would just budget... heee... i am so bad at that...

ps.. found you through blogexplosions!

tk,

maizzy
 
What an excellent idea. I never thought about taking a set amount of cash for shopping and ALWAYS end up breaking the bank. This will come in real handy now that I'm planning a birthday party.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?